Colonizing Expedition, 1775-1776

About this Manuscript About the Expedition About the Author Reading Suggestions

English

Calendar Index
Diario de Garcˇs de 1775
21 de octubre - 4 de deciembre

iario del Padre Francisco Hermenegildo Garcés de su participación en la expedición colonizadora de Don Juan Bautista de Anza (del 21 de octubre hasta el 4 de deciembre de 1775). El diario fue empezado en el Real Presidio de San Ignacio de Tubac situado hoy en Arizona, y terminado en la unión de los Ríos Gila y Colorado. El Padre Garcés, junto con el Padre Tomás Eixarch, fueron al Colorado con la intención de establecer un misión en tierras de los Indios Yumas. El propósito de su diario fue el de dar cuenta de sus observaciones al virrey de Nueva España, Antonio María Bucareli y Ursua, y últimamente al rey de España, Carlos III. Esta edición es de una transcripción de su original hecho por John Galvin en su libro Diario de exploraciones en Arizona y California en los años 1775 y 1776, (1968).

Introduction

10/23/1775

The Expedition gets under way from Tubac, Father Garcés having spent the previous days at Tumacácori

10/25/1775

The colonizers arrive at Father Garcés' mission, San Xavier del Bac

10/31/1775

While the colonists rest, Anza, Font, Garcés, and others visit the Hohokam ruins called Casa Grande

11/14/1775

Father Garcés preaches to 200 Opa Indians at Agua Caliente

11/28/1775

Chiefs Palma and Pablo and various Cocomaricopa and Yuma Indians meet with the colonists on the Gila River just north of its junction with the Colorado

12/01/1775

Anza, Eixarch, and Garcés meet with Captain Palma at his house

12/04/1775

A hut is constructed and Garcés, Eixarch, and six others stay behind as the Expedition continues on to Alta California


Calendar Index    Diario de Garcˇs de 1775      
space


[site guide] [archives] [collateral materials] [reference books] [instruction] [search] [help]
[atlas] [gallery] [overviews] [timelines] [who's who] [where's where]

©1998-2000 Center for Advanced Technology in Education, University of Oregon

Contact Us

Revised February 1, 2000